Refurbishment, Boom Length Extension, Upgrade & Retrofit of FMC Link Belt Crane including Man-Riding Functions
Rabutec was awarded a major contract recently to refurbish and upgrade an FMC Link Belt ABS 218 crane on a jack-up rig. The jack up rig had been idle for some time until our client bought the rigs who were awarded a contract to convert the jack up as an offshore forward operating base for Royal Navy. Rabutec was contracted to fully refurbish, retrofit and upgrade the crane to meet project requirements.
The crane was dismantled from the vessel and then taken to Rabutec facility in Klang where the crane and its components were stripped down completely. Each components was fully refurbished and tested in the presence of a certified Third Party Inspector.
The works on the crane was carried out in accordance to API RP 2D and ABS guidelines for lifting equipment. The works was completed on within 4 months and the crane was successfully certified and tested by BV.
Summary of works carried out on the crane included:
- Structural refurbishment of the gantry, the boom, machinery deck, railings.
- Full refurbishment of the crane sheaves, seals, bearing and O rings.
- Complete refurbishment of Instrumentation and Electrical equipment.
- refurbish and test winches.
- Refurbish hydraulic pumps, motors, piping and hoses.
- Overhaul the diesel engine, refurbish splitter and test system including dyno test.
- Refurbish and test the air system.
- Renew wire rope.
- Install a new SLI system.
- Upgrade / retrofit the crane to include man-riding functions.
- Design, fabricate and install a mid-section to lengthen the boom for new application.
- Perform all engineering calculations and verify to meet new requirements.
- Certify the crane to meet lifting requirement of API 2C and API RP 2D.
- Load test the crane and certify fit for use with Third Party.